Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Profession Update

This past weekend I went home to visit my family and more importantly get my sleeping pills back!  (My friend Carlena happened to be coming home from Idaho where I left the drugs so she transported them with her.)  These past two nights of sleep have been amazing-full of odd dreams that I only slightly remember. Last night my dream-self was in a tree house watching a Carebear performance staged by young children.

I arrived Saturday night. A dinner of Brazilian beef stew and rice and broccoli was all set for me, the parents, and older brother Alex. Every time I come home, my dad has a new brilliant career idea for me. Since I didn't choose a business degree like him, I must make him proud and be successful in another completely obscure way.

Last Summer, my dad suggested that I take flying lessons and become a pilot. A couple months ago he enthusiastically showed me a brochure for Mime School in France: "You'd be great at this, whaddaya say??" as he pointed to the chalked up 20-something-year-old dressed in black and red. I took drama in high school for two days and then dropped out because of a a mime exercise. We were supposed to act as angry mimes, trying to escape from an invisible box that we were trapped in. One student claimed to have escaped by using the ring of an invisible binder to carve her way out.

Last Saturday my dad left the dinner table shrieking and came back with a magazine. A black sharpie outlined an ad for Diamond school.  Whether it was for making jewels, studying their structure or just admiring their delicacy and beauty, I don't know. I asked him why he doesn't sign up himself and he told me he would if I would. I said I think I'll pass in this lifetime but I found the ad on my pillow that night.

Look out, this could be me in 10 years:

Mime/Pilot/Diamond Extraordinaire



2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I almost had a heart attack while reading this. I thought you wrote "Mime Flight School." I was suddenly worried about mimes crashing airplanes D:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your father sounds hilarious! I can see a whole book developing out of his rather creative way of offering career counseling.

    ReplyDelete