Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Embrace those weird days, please.


Because I stayed up until 3 a.m. last night/this morning working on my blog I was feeling a little loopy all day. You know those kinds of days where everything, even the dumbest things, seem hilarious and your just so out of it?

The weirdness began with an odd dream, of course. When I woke up I actually thought that I was at my house with my family on Mercer Island and an angry mob was invading us. In my dream, there was a family that had moved into our pool and would not leave. No, I don't have a pool at home, but this did not seem to faze me. Also, our backyard was filled with long exquisite tables filled with a plethora of different types of foods. There were rolls, ten story high cakes, and pimento stuffed olives. At this point I knew something was off because my backyard is in actuality a wad of dead grass with dog feces and a broken badminton net. 

Anyway, this family decided that they would move into our non-existent pool that was emptied during the winter. They put a tarp over it and called it home. I was mad at them for living in our backyard without permission and they also had a major attitude.

But I grew to like them because they reminded me of The Proud Family from Disney Channel.   I told them this and they were very flattered! They started singing The Proud Family theme song and I was hooked! They were pro! I decided at that point that it was okay that they stay.
                                Clearly the Proud Family theme song brings peace and justice and happiness.
There's suga'mama in pink with Puff doin her thing



Remember the good ol' days of Disney Channel with shows like The Proud Family, Smart Guy, Even Stevens, Lizzie Mcquire, Jersey, etc? EVERYONE watched and talked about these shows, it was the cool thing to do! If you watched Disney Channel you were automatically IN. Your parents watched it and loved it too! Even your old Grandma Martha could watch with you without feeling the need to reminisce on the good ol' days when there was no T.V. and she knitted a wool sock to stay warm in the Winter instead.  Even if your saying "b.s. those shows were as lame as sour milk" you obviously didn't hate them that much because I know that you watched them.

I think what we all could benefit from is a "Retro Disney Channel" where all of the old school cool shows play all day and all night long. The world would just be a much better place, I think.

Okay, so I intended to continue on with my odd day, but I let my Disney Channel impulse take over so I won't make you read much farther. I just also want to share a video that we started to watch in my Young Adult Lit. Class. We've been reading books in which confused male teenagers rebel against society. So far we've read Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton and The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. I recommend all of these books by the way!

This film Over The Edge starring Matt Dillon was released in 1979 and was apparently inspired by true events of teen rebellion that occurred during the 70's. Here's just a preview of it:

I know, amazing. This  made me want to go back and live during the 70's. I couldn't stop smiling while we watched it. My eyes were twitching and the back of my knees got a little sweaty. (Sorry if the quality is not that good, but I think you can find the full version on youtube like I will be doing.)I recommend putting a towel or something in your mouth to keep you from biting your tongue off...yes, it's THAT good. 

Happy Tuesday!



2 comments:

  1. It's really hard for me not to go on Disney Channel rants once I get started (Remember Zoog Disney? That was my shit.)

    But, I think there is something to be said for Nickelodeon in that era too, I mean, Rocko's Modern Life, Ahh! Real Monster, and Angry Beavers? Disney channel would have never let those acid trips on their airwaves.

    Sounds like an interesting dream indeed, I always find it interesting that we will know something is wrong in our dream but just accept it and move on anyways.
    -Kacie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh YES Zoog Disney was my home!! I completely forgot how good Nick was too, it's way different now! I miss that whole era...

    ReplyDelete